Pages

Monday, February 14, 2011

She's an air-conditioned gypsy

As you might have gathered from the title, Eleanor is goin' mobile. It's been a gradual process. Around the beginning of January, she figured out how to roll across the floor to get where she wanted to go. Then she graduated to scooting on her tummy. She looks like a little soldier, hauling herself across the floor on her elbows like she's avoiding enemy fire. About a month ago, she managed to get up on her hands and knees. And today she put all the pieces together and CRAWLED. We are in trouble now.

And the sleeping. OH THE SLEEPING THAT IS GOING ON HERE. Gather 'round while I tell you my amazing story.

Ellie was doing pretty well before we moved, going down without too much trouble and waking up once in the night. This was a really refreshing change from having to rock her for two hours, carefully lay her down, go and rock her again 45 minutes later, and get up two or three times in the night. We thought we were more or less in the clear.

And then we moved and everything fell apart again. It was getting so ridiculous, and she was having such a hard time settling with us, that we finally decided to follow her cues and teach her how to fall asleep by herself. She was obviously ready for it, and it ended up being a LOT easier than we thought it was going to be. We are kicking ourselves for not doing it earlier. It took about four nights altogether, but now we spend about 30-45 minutes on our bedtime routine, we lay her down, she fusses for maybe two minutes and then she's out. For 10-11 hours, usually. I KNOW. I'm beginning to feel well-rested for the first time in like a year. I honestly wasn't expecting her to sleep all the way through the night just yet, but she's doing it! So all you mamas with non-sleeping babies, TAKE HEART. Mine was wretched for several months there, but now she is fabulous, and yours will be too.

Of course, now that I've gone and posted this on the Internet, she's going to go back to waking up every hour on the hour. I will now commence to knocking on every wooden surface in this house so that she keeps this up.

And now the obligatory photos, so you can admire just how gorgeous my girl is.


Her new best friend.


So pleased with herself!


Our baby bear.

She's growing up so fast!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

My daughter is nearly four years old and just started sleeping through the night (I think I passed my insomnia on to her.)

Now, on to sleep training my twelve year old dog....