Pages

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Please don't wake me

So, my champion sleeper, who only woke up once per night starting around 4 weeks, has completely fallen apart. She's now waking up about three times per night and laughs in the face of naps. I tell her, "You know, lots of other babies take naps that last more than ten minutes! And they feel MUCH happier afterwards. You should try this." And she says, "Mom, those other babies are weaklings." And I beat my head against a wall and wonder what the hell is going on here.

Oh, and for extra fun, she's recently decided that I am the only one who is allowed to put her to bed. If Mr. Canuck tries it, she screams blue murder and tears our hearts out. It's brutal.

So, remember how I said I wasn't going to read any more parenting books? Well, I've stuck to that, I promise! But I never said anything about Googling. And my trusty friend Google tells me that this is very common and totally normal. Apparently around four months they have a big leap in cognitive development, and with all this new information running around their little brains, it's hard for them to stay asleep. Okay, I guess that's a good reason.

This does not stop me from trying to make her sleep during the day, however. We frequently have conversations that go like this:

What's that you say? It's naptime?



Hmm, she says. Let me think about this.



No, no. I don't think that's a good idea at all.



But, darling, I tell her, if you don't sleep then I can't sleep, and I will turn into a zombie. You don't want a zombie for a mama, do you?

No worries, ma, she tells me. It ain't no thing.



I will just hang out down here and eat my fist.



At this point my head explodes and I wail in despair that I will never sleep again. But then she does this...



...and my heart grows three sizes and I tell her that I will get up with her ten times a night until she's thirty if that's what she needs.

This motherhood gig is damned hard work, but I would not give it up for the world.

1 comment:

Jennifer C said...

Dan and I laughed out loud at the fist eating photo! soooo cute!