Pages

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I won't tell them your name

The official baby-name policy here in the Canuck household is simple - we want the baby to be the first person to find out her name, so until she is born it is top secret. This, I'm sure, is bugging the living daylights out of many people in our lives, so even though it is lots of fun to have a secret (and even more fun to occasionally twitch them about it - I AM DRUNK WITH POWER), I thought I'd throw y'all a bone and let you in on some of the names that didn't make the cut.

We'll start with the boy names, since we already know that these are irrelevant for the time being.

Julian - I think this is an excellent name, but Mr. Canuck does not agree. He's wrong, though. It's a good, strong, classical name, it goes very well with our last name, and there wouldn't be four other Julians in his kindergarten class. But I guess it's important for both parents to like the baby's name, or something. WHATEVER.

Cary - see above re: strong and classical. Plus great connotations - who would not like to be named after Cary Grant, for pete's sake? Just look at him!



(Incidentally, I don't know about you guys, but I can never see a picture of Cary Grant without having Jimmy Stewart pop up in my head hollering, "C.K. DEXTER HAVEN!!")

Ultimately, I think this works better as a middle name, though. If I'd had my way, a boy baby would have been Julian Cary. But that didn't happen.

Jude - This is just a name I really like, but would probably not actually use. It's a great name, but I don't think it would work well in the modern world. Plus there's that whole Judas thing. Possible future middle name, though.

Theodore - This was one of Mr. Canuck's picks. He really likes it, but I really don't. There are good old-fashioned names, and there are bad old-fashioned names, and to me this is one of the latter. Plus, I've only known one Theodore, and I couldn't stand him. I think he poisoned the name for me.

There were a couple of others that we kicked around for a while, but the boy name we eventually settled on was Thomas Anthony. Thomas is an old family name on Mr. Canuck's side, and Anthony would have been after both his uncle and my father.

But none of that matters, because this baby is a girl!! All the girl names you will see on this list were my idea - the one name suggestion Mr. Canuck offered was the one we ended up using, because it was brilliant and we both love it. And you don't get to know what it is for about seven more weeks, nanny nanny boo boo. But rest assured that it is none of these:

Magdalena - This is probably my most favorite name ever. It is just so beautiful, plus I absolutely love Mary Magdalene (who was not a hooker - read your Gospels a bit more carefully and you will see this). Unfortunately, we are not of the right culture to be able to use this name without looking a little stupid. And people would probably end up calling her Maggie, which I don't like at all. So that one was out. Dammit.

Anastasia - Beautiful, gorgeous, excellent name, but just didn't quite work in the end. I actually AM of the correct culture for this name (it was my great-great-grandmother's middle name) and I love it, but not quite enough to actually use it. And again with the nicknames - I wouldn't want people calling her Stacey.

Eden - This is one of the few more modern-ish names that I actually really like. I like the Biblical association, but mostly I just think it sounds nice. Mr. Canuck would take some convincing, though.

Mary - Another Biblical name that I really, really like. It's not hugely common anymore, and it's very pretty and feminine. I like Marian quite a lot too.

And what did we actually pick? Never fear! As soon as this child makes her appearance and has been informed of her name, we will share it with the rest of you. And you will love it, because it is EXCELLENT. I promise.

1 comment:

Jennifer C said...

Mary, surprisingly enough, wasn't even in the top 1000 girls names in the States for 2008 (at least the list I was looking at). I think that it became so common that people just don't use it anymore. What an amazing biblical character, though!

Jude is a great name, though I think most people would associate it nowadays with the Beatles rather than Judas. Dan's not convinced on this name, however.

Eden is quite pretty, but also becoming quite popular.