Pages

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Take a load off, Fanny

It's time for a Video Post! Today's selection is The Band's excellent song "The Weight" - the live version from The Last Waltz, featuring the Staples Singers. Those of you who know us well will not be even a little bit surprised to find this video here. This song gets played a lot at our house. This is of course the very best version of it, and it's almost all because of Mavis Staples. As the saying goes, that woman could sing me the phone book and I would love every second of it.



And, just because it is also awesome and I just couldn't help myself, here is the same song performed by Gillian Welch, David Rawlings, and Old Crow Medicine Show. This performance is from a BBC special that I wish to God was available on DVD, because all the clips available on YouTube are fabulous. Anyhow, enjoy!

No comments: