Pages

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Makes you think all the world's a sunny day

I really doubt I have any readers left, since it's been so ridiculously long since my last post, but here goes anyway. Hello, void!

I am now 27 weeks pregnant, and pregnancy is still simultaneously excellent and awful. There are many women who really love being pregnant and adore every second of it. I am realizing that I am not one of them. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate it, but I keep thinking longingly of the days when I could comfortably tie my own shoes and wear my cute jeans and not have to keep a huge jar of Tums next to my bed.

And the latest development has upped the discomfort quotient even more. I have got something called symphysis pubis dysfunction, or SPD. Basically what this means is that the ligament that holds the two halves of my pelvis together is loosening up. This is normal, but in my particular case (because I cannot ever do anything normally) it's not going quite right and is causing inflammation. This is exactly as much fun as it sounds. I am in pain most of the time, and if I'm not careful about how I move my legs, it gets worse. But the midwife wrote me a prescription for a sacral belt, which will basically hold my bones together, and also showed me some exercises to strengthen up that whole general area, and she tells me that it will get better. I am choosing to believe her.

The other thing the midwife told me is that because of this, it would be a pretty bad idea for me to have an epidural, even though this condition is likely going to cause me extra pain during labor. (OH BOY. Extra pain! Just what every expectant mother wants to hear.) Without that pain there as a warning, I could potentially do something really stupid like throw my legs apart and (prepare to be grossed out) separate that ligament entirely. This would leave me immobile for months and would be VERY VERY BAD. I am actually looking at this as a good thing, because I am really wanting to get through this with no medication, and now the doula will have extra ammunition for when I am hollering, "I DON'T CARE WHAT I SAID JUST GIVE ME THE DRUGS." And I might be less tempted, knowing the potential consequences. So yeah, silver lining! And I didn't even have to look that hard!

So that's where things stand right now. I'll try to update this thing a bit more regularly now that I'm finished gallivanting around North America. This month is Baby Preparation Month, and the nursery should be all set up within a couple of weeks. There will be pictures!

4 comments:

Jennifer Chaloner said...

yay! you updated!
just a fluke i saw it; i use your blog as a bookmark for all the interesting blogs i've discovered through your sidebar.
SPD sounds like fun. is it painful enough that you have to take tylenol or something for it?
Also, does this mean that you now have to have a hospital birth, or are you still planning the home birth?
aren't midwives great? they are so reassuring. i'm sure it will get better, but at least it's only three more months!

Amanda said...

I've tried Tylenol, but since it's just an analgesic and not an anti-inflammatory, it doesn't really do anything. I miss my ibuprofen!!

Home birth is still okay, thank goodness! We're going to do the hospital tour just in case, but nobody seems to think this will be an issue.

I adore my midwives. I'm so glad I was able to go this way instead of using a doctor!

Laura said...

You haven't lost me as a reader, but I don't know if family counts. I've also been giving updates to the rest of the west coast R*****s (that's probably unnecessary, but I'm not sure if you're attaching your full name to this thing.) My mother has informed me that, in her day, women didn't keep pregnancy blogs. You know, in case you were wondering.

Also, your writing is really great and you guys are going to be fantastic parents. Here's hoping the rest of pregnancy/labour/delivery is as smooth and comfortable as possible.

Amanda said...

Hi, Laura! I didn't even know you were reading this, so thanks for the comment. I would give you some sort of snarky response to pass on to your mom, possibly something referencing the Stone Age, but your mom is really nice so I won't do that.

And thanks for the censoring! Definitely trying to keep our full name off of here. Google can be a powerful enemy.