Pages

Monday, April 19, 2010

Leave the light on

We got A TON of stuff done yesterday, and that included setting up the baby's room. I suppose I could also call it the nursery, but that word sounds so Mary Poppins to me, like that's where we banish the children to when we can't be bothered to interact with them anymore. So it's the baby's room.

Anyhow. We bought the crib on Saturday, and Mr. Canuck's parents were kind enough to bring it over to our place yesterday after I finished the last bit of painting. So the first order of business was to get that put together. For this we needed supplies.


Tired, pregnant (though you can't really tell in that picture, oddly enough) and covered in paint stains, but I am still kind enough to bring my husband a beer. Note the pair of scissors under my arm, with the point poking into my belly. I'm such a good mom.


Mr. Canuck made it very clear that putting the crib together is the daddy's job.


Seems to be going well so far! Although this was after we'd put it together once and had to take it apart and put it back together the right way. This was entirely my fault.


Putting in the mattress support. In case anybody is wondering about Mr. Canuck's T-shirt, "Launch Week" was the start of his MBA program in 2006. He assures me that an MBA is required to properly assemble an infant's crib.


This is what the stylish mamas are wearing around the house these days.


A very badly framed shot of the finished product. We've ordered the mattress, but the store was out of stock so we won't actually have it until next weekend. In the meantime, it's filled with blankets and stuffed animals. I've also ordered a pack of Cavorting Hippo greeting cards, which will be framed and hung over the crib (well out of the baby's reach, of course). You MUST click the link and go look at those cards - they are too adorable for words.


The room! There is a rocking chair on the way, which will go in the corner by where Mr. Canuck is standing, underneath the picture of St. Francis. The basket on top of the dresser will be the baby's first bed, most likely in our bedroom so I don't have to be stumbling down the hall in the middle of the night.


Baby's first library! Mr. Canuck would like all of you Canadian readers to know that it includes The Hockey Sweater. I must admit, though, that the appeal of this book remains lost on me. It must be one of those things that you have to be Canadian to properly appreciate.


My mama made this for me as a Christmas present a few years ago. Those are all baby pictures of me, and the caption under the mirror reads, "May you always be held so tenderly." And on the back of the frame, there is a picture of me naked that says, "And be so comfortable in your own skin." I absolutely love this, and I thought it was very appropriate for my daughter's bedroom.


This is a portrait of St. Francis of Assisi that my grandmother stitched years ago. Isn't it beautiful? It's hanging over the spot where the rocking chair will be.


And this is just a print I found at HomeSense and fell in love with. I thought it was very sweet and girly without being totally froufrou, which is exactly the aesthetic I'm going for here. Plus, the purple butterflies go very nicely with the purple walls.

I am very, very pleased with this room, and so is Mr. Canuck. Neither of us can walk past it without going in to admire how pretty it is. Now we just need a baby to put in it!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

The room looks great.
I remember those days of anticipation, of the clean and slightly empty baby room. That's why it's so remarkable to me now that my little girl's room is so full of stuff that you can hardly turn around and it smells a little bit like old cheese.