Pages

Saturday, October 24, 2009

As of today I am officially four weeks and three days pregnant. This number bothers me, since it's counted from the first day of my last period. I've been charting my cycle for several months and therefore know exactly when I ovulated and approximately when the egg implanted, so by my reckoning it's more like nine days. Ah, whatever. I don't suppose it really matters.

So far I'm not feeling all that different, beyond being extra tired. Lately I've been having fun conversations with The Man of the House where we tell each other how tired we are, and then I get to add, "I'm making someone's central nervous system. What's your excuse?"

I've seen my doctor already and everything is fine. I've also contacted a midwife practice, and they're supposed to let me know in the next few days if they have room for another patient. If they don't, I'll be able to stay with my regular doctor, which I'm pleased about. I like her very much and it will be nice not to have to go to an obstetrician.

And of course I've also picked up a copy of What to Expect When You're Expecting, since that's apparently the other thing you're supposed to do when you get pregnant. To be honest, I'm not loving it. There is a lot of good information in it, but I don't like the tone much. It feels awfully lecturing and judgmental. I would prefer it if it just laid out the facts and allowed me to make an informed decision, rather than being all, "You can't do this!" and "You have to do that!" And it doesn't really need to tell me on every single page that I shouldn't get too fat. I'll keep it around, but I'm not putting too much faith in it.

Hmm, not much else to report this early in the game.

1 comment:

Jean said...

Books are very useful, if there is something you are wondering and you can't get to an expert for the answer, but you will probably learn more from the mothers you know. Just take some of it with a grain of salt. The most important thing to remember is that every pregnancy is different, and the experiences you are having will be just a bit different to those of your mother or mother in law or friends. And this pregnancy will be different to any others you might have. The only thing they have in common is that they result in a baby. And then you will need to remember that all babies are different too!